The Bath Game or “Daruma-san” is a game that originated in Japan.
The game involves summoning a grotesque ghost that will follow you all day. The object of the game is to evade the ghost and prevent it from catching you.
Warning: We advise you not to play the bath game. They say that playing Daruma-san can result in very bad things happening to you.
Bath Game Instructions:
- Before you go to bed at night, take off your clothes and go into the bathroom.
- Fill the bathtub with water and turn off the lights.
- Sit in the middle of the bathtub, facing the faucets or taps.
- Wash your hair, while repeating over and over the words “Daruma-san fell down. Daruma-san fell down.”
- As you wash your hair, in your mind, you should see an image of a Japanese woman standing in the bathtub. She slips and falls onto a rusty tap. The tap goes through her eye and kills her.
- Keep repeating the words “Daruma-san fell down. Daruma-san fell down.” until you finish washing your hair. Your eyes must remain shut. You may hear or feel a slight movement in the bathtub behind you. Keep your eyes closed. Do not peek. You have just summoned a ghost. The ghostly figure of a woman will rise out of the water behind you. You will feel her presence as she stares at you, her head just behind your right shoulder. Her hair is black and tangled. Her clothes are tattered and rotting. She has only one eye. Her left eye is wide open and bloodshot. Her right eye is missing, leaving just a bloody, hollow eye socket.
- When you sense the presence of the ghost, say out loud “Why did you fall in the bath?”
- Keeping your eyes shut tightly, stand up, get out of the bath. Be careful not to trip and fall. Immediately leave the bathroom and shut the door behind you. Now it is safe to open your eyes. Leave the water in the bath overnight. Go to sleep.
The next morning, when you wake up, the game will begin. The ghost of the one-eyed woman will be following you. Whenever you turn to look, she will disappear. Throughout the day, when you glance over your right shoulder, you will occasionally catch a glimpse of her. She will get closer and closer as the day goes on. Do not allow her to catch you.
If you glance over your shoulder and see that she is way too close, you should shout “Tomare!” which means “Stop!” Then run away as quickly as possible. This will allow you to put some distance between yourself and the one-eyed woman.
To end the game, you must catch a glimpse of the ghostly woman and shout “Kitta!” which means “I cut you loose!” Then hold out your hand in front of you and swing it down in a cutting motion (like a karate chop).
You should end the game before midnight. Otherwise the one-eyed woman will appear in your dreams and follow you.
Bath Game Rules:
- Do not open your eyes when the ghost first appears.
- Do not allow the ghost to trip you when you get out of the bath.
- Do not re-enter the bathroom after you leave.
- Do not drain the bathtub until morning.
- Do not allow the one-eyed woman to catch up to you.
A final piece of advice:
Do not play this game. It is very dangerous. Summoning ghosts can result in you getting possessed by a demon or dying in a horrible way. You could also trip and fall in the bath and seriously injure or kill yourself. If you fail to end the game properly, the ghost could continue to follow you for the rest of your life. Do not play this game.